There is a common notion amongst the patients that Spine Surgeries are unsafe. This notion prevents a patient from consulting a spine specialist. Avoiding the doctor leads to more complications and sometimes irreversible damage.
So today, in this blog, we will discuss the safety of Spine Surgeries and the success rates of Spine Surgeries.
The Success Rate of Spine Surgery
The success rate of any Spine Surgery depends on multiple factors. Let’s check out these factors one by one:
- Type of Surgery: There are two types of Spine Surgeries one is Open Spine Surgery and Second is Minimally invasive Spine surgery.
- Experience of the Surgeon: In general, the success rate with an experienced Spine Surgeon will be higher. If the surgeon has less experience, it’s obvious that he/she might be unable to deliver a higher success rate. So this is a critical factor that defines the success rate of Spine Surgery.
There are specially trained neuro-surgeons who specialize in spine surgeries. So consult them instead of general surgeons who rarely perform spine surgeries.
- Patient’s overall health: If the patient’s health and immunity are good, they will become mobile more quickly. In such cases, the success rate is also higher. On the contrary, if the patient’s immunity is low, the success rate of the surgery is a bit low. For e.g. a bedridden or diabetic patient.
- Specific Conditions: The success of the surgery also depends greatly on the condition being treated. There are primarily three conditions that can be treated with the surgery:
- Slip-disc: The success rate of Slip-disc is almost 100%. A patient’s tingling sensation and pain will go away entirely. But here, the time of surgery is important. If you are undergoing surgery at an early stage, the success rate is quite high.
- Trauma: If there is no paralysis or neuro deficit, the success rate of trauma surgeries is 100%. If there is a neuro-deficit or paralysis, the success rate is between 50-60%.
- Tumours: If there are IDEM or Extradural tumours, the success rate is 100%. But the success rate is a bit lower for Intermediary tumours, which are the tumours inside the spinal cord.
After going through this information, we are sure you are clear about the success rates of Spine Surgery.
If you are in good health, consult an excellent spine specialist and do so at the right time; the success rates are very high. Your pain will go away, and you will be able to move freely.
In a nutshell, the success rate of any spine surgery depends on multiple factors, including the patients themselves. So you should consult your spine specialist to determine a personalized success ratio, depending on your condition.
We strongly suggest you not make decisions based on the experience of some other patients. It’s possible that you might have the same issue as someone you know, but depending on other variables, your success rate can be quite different.
We hope this brief information has offered you much-needed insight into the success rate of spine surgery. Remember, 90% of spinal problems do not require surgery. And those that do require surgery have a very high success ratio.
So consult a good spine specialist, make a good decision and live a healthy life. For any other information on spine surgery, feel free to contact our experts. We will be glad to assist you.
Dr. Eshan Nerkar
Neurologist And NeurosuegeonDr. Eshan Nerkar, Consultant Brain & Spine Surgeon in Nashik specializes in Spine Surgery. He practices at AXON Brain & Spine Clinic. He is one of the best neurosurgeons in Nashik with more than 10 years of experience. He has performed more than 1000 surgeries related to brain and spinal surgery procedures.