OverviewA painful ailment of the spine is spondylolysis. The issue is the link between the vertebrae, the bones that make up the spine. Small stress fractures or cracks may develop due to spondylolysis, often after repeated sports-related injuries. Because it affects the pars interarticularis, a little spinal bone, spondylolysis is also known as a “pars defect.” Different areas of the spine may develop other forms of spondylosis:
- The center of the spine is impacted by thoracic spondylosis.
- Lower back pain is a symptom of lumbar spondylosis.
- Multiple levels of the spine are affected by multilevel spondylosis.
Symptoms of Spondylosis
The following are some of the most typical signs of spondylosis:
- A weakening, numbing, or tingling sensation in the arms or legs
- An ache in the shoulders or arms that radiates
- Bowel or bladder incontinence
- Inability to use one’s fine motor skills
- Neck and back discomfort
- Problems with balancing
- Stiffness, spasms, or discomfort in the muscles
Cause of Spondylosis
The following are some of the most typical spondylosis causes:
- Herniated Discs: A person is more likely to develop spondylosis if they have a history of one or more herniated discs. One of the discs in the spine ruptures, leading to the development of a herniated disc. As a result of the vertebrae rubbing against one another, irritation and arthritis may develop.
- Degenerative Discs: Degenerative discs may also be identified in a person. The fluid-filled discs act as a cushion between the vertebrae. Therefore, spondylosis may result from the vertebrae rubbing against one another due to disc degeneration.
- Bone Spurs: Spondylosis may also be brought on by bone spurs. Inflammation brought on by bone spurs might make them rub against various parts of the spine. Arthritis may result from this.
Need help? Talk to Our Neurologist
Get the Most Effective Neurological Treatment in India by Consulting Dr. Eshan Nerkar, One of the Top Neurologists in Nashik.
Diagnosis of Spondylosis
Radiology studies, including conventional film X-rays, MRIs, or CT scans, diagnose spondylosis. For example, X-rays of the spine may reveal bone spurs on the vertebral bodies, thickening of the facet joints connecting the vertebrae, and narrowing of the intervertebral disc spaces.
When spinal stenosis is present, it may be detected via a CT scan of the spine, allowing a more detailed view of the spine.
The most accurate way to see the intervertebral discs, including the extent of disc herniation if it exists, is with a costly MRI scan of the spine.
An MRI may accurately identify a pinched nerve and is used to see the spine’s vertebrae, facet joints, nerves, and ligaments.
Treatment of Spondylosis
Several different treatments may be explored. Among the most popular forms of therapy are:
- Physical Therapy: Muscles, ligaments, and tendons may be strengthened with the help of physical therapy. This will provide this bone with more support and lessen some spondylosis symptoms.
- Medications: Additionally, the symptoms of spondylosis are commonly treated with medication. Patients could be prescribed over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs and steroid injections to decrease inflammation further.
- Surgery: Depending on the severity of the patient’s symptoms or the existence of growing neurologic impairment, surgical intervention may be advised in certain circumstances.
Eighty percent of people with spinal problems may be treated without surgery, and just twenty percent may need it. After six hours of surgery, the patient can walk, and all symptoms go.
The most prevalent kind of degenerative neck problem that occurs with age is cervical spondylosis. Preventative measures for cervical spondylosis include:
- Exercise regularly is crucial
- It is essential to stop smoking
- Pay attention to how you’re sitting
- Take pauses as required throughout any task that requires you to remain in one place
Author – Dr. Eshan Nerkar
Dr. Eshan Nerkar at AXON Brain & Spine Clinic provides an holistic care in the field of Brain & Spine. He is the Best Neurosurgeon in Nashik. AXON deal in entire spectrum of Brain and Spine diseases. Our equal importance is to Neuro Rehabilitation Center . It deals with comprehensive care including Neurosurgeon, Neurologist, Neuro physiotherapist, Nutritionist and Physical therapist.